Recent Posts


Excellent Achievers of Mother Richmond

Richmondites have yet again prevailed in the arena of GCE A/L 2022 by achieving Island Ranks and District ranks. See...
Read More
Clubs & Societies Media Unit

Rajali Sandesa – Winner of April

April Winner of the "Rajali Sandesa" Design Board organized by the Richmond College Media Unit.
Read More
Baseball Sports

Baseball Players Shine Again

Under 20 All Island Baseball championship 2022 was won by Richmondites at the Diyagama Japan Sri Lanka friendship baseball play field...
Read More
Music & Drama

Music is a Universal language of Mankind

Congratulations to the soloists for sustaining the spirit of Richmondites.. Chanul Dandeniya got the 1st place for Piano Solo Senior...
Read More
Music & Drama School

Hard work and perseverance have paid off

Richmond College Senior Western Choir placed National level 1st (A2 category) in the All Island Western Music and Dance Competitions...
Read More

The Birthday of the Father of Free Education Gracefully Celebrated

A renowned old boy of Richmond College, the first education minister of Sri Lanka and the father of free education,...
Read More
The school is founded, 1876

l-block-old-ageAmong the most important business transacted at the meeting of the Missionaries of South Ceylon in the early months of 1876 in Colombo, was the recent development of the work in Galle. Owing to zealous and preserving applications of Mr. Baugh the authorities in England had decided on the establishment of a Superior School for Boys at Galle under the charge of Missionary and had made a liberal grant for erection of buildings at Richmond Hill. This District Meeting of Missionaries voted their thanks to the Committee for the generous aid and their congratulations to Mr.Baugh on the success of his plans.

The meeting also appointed the Rev.Samuel Langdon Principal of the new school.
Work in connection with the new school in Galle  progressed with feverish haste. There existed already on Richmond Hill the Boys Anglo Vernacular School. An additional building was erected where the main block of class rooms built by Mr.Darrel now stands. A new bungalow close to the rooms of the Theological students was built for Mr Langdon.

Mr Baugh continued to occupy what has been since the time of Mr.Darrel The Principals bungalow. Furniture was hurriedly procured, and a syllabus drawn up . When this was over the following advertisement appeared in the local papers.

GALLE HIGH SCHOOL – This school will be opened on RIchmond Hill on Monday 1st May. All those who intend to become pupils are requested to do so with as little delay as possible , so that the classes might be arranged. Boarding accommodation available for few. Sgnd. S. Langdon. Read more